August 1, 2013

Being brave

I talked to my onc last Thursday. Made a list with things I wanted to talk about before I went. I spent like 45 minutes in his office. He is wonderful for taking the time like that. How important is it to have a good relationship with your doctor. Seriously. I trust this man. I sit there sobbing in his office but he's still able to make me laugh.

So we talked a lot. About everything. He convinced me I'm completely normal. He also complimented me on coming to him asking for help. So he's going to search for a psychologist for me... According to him there needs to be a certain chemistry between a patient and a pshych so he's going to try and find me a good match.

Tamoxifen also came up. But since I'm not feeling so great right now... and Tamoxifen has like a billion side effects and depression is one of them. My onc decided he wants me to see a psych first and feel better. Which is quite a relieve actually. I have enough on my plate for now. The results from the blood test showed that I haven't hit menopause yet... but it's coming close.

In the meantime I'm working very hard on the being the in now and not thinking about my next Herceptin treatment. One word: DISTRACTION. I sand and paint old furniture, I draw, make cards, send out packages, take photos, I take walks, hug the bunnies, I bought a record player... that sort of things.

Today I had my first walk outside without my hat. My hair is still really short but it's too hot for a hat right now. I think it'll look better in one or two months. Maybe I can even dye it by then and get rid off the grey hairs.

I also donated 50 of my photos for Ann Marie's Bravery Bags. She's making bags filled with goodies to lift spirits of those fighting the C - battle as well. My photos feature strong and inspiring words with sweet and pretty backgrounds. So happy to be part of this project! 

6 comments:

  1. It's so good to hear your oncologist give that kind of support. A kind oncologist (and talented oncologist) is so wonderful to be connected with. I hope he finds you an excellent psychologist.

    That's just lovely you donated your photos. Do you have copies of them anywhere, but any chance? You're a gifted artist, I'd be so curious to see the pictures.

    Take care,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a snapshot of a couple of them: http://followgram.me/i/512105421248142013_4525773 Thanks Catherine!

      Delete
  2. Als je straks eenmaal bij een psych bent, wees niet bang om het aan te geven als je geen klik hebt, zelfs na een aantal sessies. Dat kan gebeuren en is heel normaal. Wanneer je je niet veilig voelt bij iemand, kan hij/zij je ook niet verder helpen.
    Liefs
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! Ik zal er aan denken en je hebt helemaal gelijk!

      Delete
  3. Moedige dappere Ciel. Ik volg je al een tijdje (wij zijn vorig jaar omstreeks dezelfde periode geconfronteerd met de diagnose borstkanker). En hoewel ons behandeltraject totaal ander verloopt, lees ik steeds weer met een lach, herkenning of een traan je blogs. Als geen ander weet je de emotie in woorden te vangen, je onzekerheden bloot te leggen en daar waar woorden tekort schieten, het te vangen in wonderschoon beeldmateriaal. Voor wat je er aan hebt, dank daarvoor. En hoe verdomd lastig, pijnlijk en onzeker deze route ook, juist een periode als deze laat je nog meer bij je kern komen en kanten van jezelf ontdekken die je voor onmogelijk had gehouden. Zeker in deze behandelperiode vaak in de moeilijke zin van het woord, maar soms juist ook op verrassende wijze. Koppie omhoog, haar(tjes) in de wind, snuif het leven op!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lieve Femke, wat een bijzonder berichtje heb je achtergelaten. Je bericht is heel bijzonder en doet me erg goed! Ik ben blij dat je iets van herkenning in mijn woorden en foto's kunt vinden! Het cliché dat we sterker zijn dan we denken is inderdaad waar. Dus we gaan door! Liefs en bedankt voor je bericht! XX

      Delete