March 29, 2013

Being a wild bird

So looking back at my previous post it would be fair to say I had a few things on my mind that were bothering me.

So yesterday when I got out of bed I figured hey this is my life we're talking about. My heart. Let's take back control. And it felt really really good.

I decided to email my oncologist instead of waiting for him to call. That same afternoon he replied. Basically he told me he wants do a MUGA scan and until the results come back no Herceptin for me.

A MUGA scan creates video images of the ventricles (lower chambers of the heart that hold blood) to check whether they are pumping blood properly. It shows any abnormalities in the size of the ventricles and in the movement of the blood through the heart. Today the hospital called me and we scheduled the scan for next week Tuesday.

So there you have it. I feel a little more at ease and also very determined on finishing these Herceptin treatments. Which is kinda crazy of course... Because at first I was so not looking forward to them. But now I realize this treatment was prescribed for a reason and that is why it is so god damn important I finish every single one of them.

Of course if the results from the MUGA scan are seriously fucked up and the risk is too high... well then it becomes a different story. You see I don't want to die of a heart attack. That would be a bit ironic.

Song Of A Wild Bird

7 comments:

  1. Good on you for emailing your oncologist and getting the story. I hope the scan goes well. ~Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine, keeping my fingers crossed!

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you're feeling better today. It's a rollcoaster ride for sure huh? Sending you lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's one hell of a crazy ride! Lots of love right back at ya!

      Delete
  3. Bummer that they didn't give you a Muga before chemo for a baseline. I started having Muga tests during chemo. It will continue every 3 months until I have completed Herceptin in August. I have had a slight decrease in heart function during chemo. My cardiologist said that it should recover over time. It stinks that we have so many trade offs with our treatments. Glad to read that you are doing better today. We are here for you no matter if it is sunshine or storms. I get it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before I even got to the last line I was singing in my head "Isn't it ironic" WOW!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ciel... Just read your last two posts. And I am so sorry you had to go through this. So frustrating. The ups and downs of this whole ride can really take a toll.

    I hope that the MUGA went well. Sending you so much love. xoxox

    ReplyDelete